Sunday, November 7, 2010

You Know Who Your True Friends Are!

Mental illnesses have such a stigma with them!  Mental illnesses can create serious physical illnesses and there are many people who do not "get it".  For example, "The Depression" , that goes along with suffering from EDO's and there are many types that people suffer with.  I remember being told one time when I was so sick due to being so immunosupressed and dehydrated that I was hospitalized.  A colleague I once worked with said something very hurtful that it still bothers me to this day..but I chock it up to the person being ignorant and not knowing the difference between "peas & carrots"!  LOL! Hope that made sense!  I was so weak, I needed assistance to get up to go to the bathroom.  I couldn't walk to the bathroom and push an IV pole all at once with out falling on the floor.  This individual who I had worked with for years, looked at me and said, "Pam, I AM SO ASHAMED OF YOU!"  I was shocked by the comment, but at the time, I really didn't care.  Staying a live was my priority! Not winning this person's approval.  Duh!  Sometimes , me included,  can say the stupidest things to others!  Think people before you speak!  Whether a person is terribly under wt. or terribly over wt. these individuals fight the same battles!!  Like I said before, eating disorders come in so many forms.  Each person who suffers with EDO's is unique and their physical and mental health treatment plan is different than any one else's.  Ya know, I wanted to say to this co-worker after I started feeling better,  that I didn't just wake up one morning and say,"Hey Pam , You Now Have 2 EDO's!!"  This colleague clearly had NO EMPATHY....She was judging me for being depressed and having out of control EDO's.  People shouldn't judge, but in all reality...they do.  Friends who I thought were friends, dropped like flies and just walked out of my life like I had the plague!  LOL......Life is to short people...reach out and love each other for who we are and others are!  Be happy!!! Must run for now!    :)   Pam

2 comments:

  1. This is a test entry to see if I can comment..1-2-3- LOL! It's only me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have lost many friends to being sick as well. I would add family to that list, but you can't really lose them - they just disappear. Unless they have walked a mile in a pair of really lousy moccasins - nobody really understands what we go through. Interesting it doesn't matter what the cause of suffering is, but all who suffer get each other. No prejudices there! Great writing sister of pain!

    ReplyDelete